If you were following me on instagram during the summer, which if you don't, you should go do that right now @CJFit603, then you already know what I'm going to say. If you forgot and you need a refresher, here are a few of the benefits of pushups(I know, I know, the title gave it away huh..) .
- The pushup is a great movement that helps develop functional strength within the chest, shoulders as well as the triceps.
- It also helps improve your posture by engaging your core to help your body stay upright. (Hips up! Stiff as a board!)
- Strengthening your shoulders while holding yourself up will help prevent your shoulders from injury in the future.
- They're also good for your cardiovascular system. With a number of muscle groups working to help you perform the pushup correctly, your heart must work to pump blood to the working muscles.
- It can be done anywhere! All you need is yourself.
The pushup is a great exercise because there are so many variations that you can perform to help target different muscle groups at different angles. This allows you to always be able to challenge yourself. Another great thing is that if you can't do a standard pushup, you can always start with modified where you start from your knees. It's a great progressive exercise that you should definitely start incorporating in your workouts! Constantly challenge yourself & watch how much better you'll feel after seeing improvement :)